The Social Network


   I still feel grateful to God, for lending clever IT people to all of us allowing us to experience the easiness of getting connected to one another. Its just amazing how things evolve over time, from computers to mobile phones to smart phones to social networking and of course faster and faster internet connection. 

  Facebook itself has made me connected with hundreds of friends, not to mention the long lost ones. I've managed to get connected back with friends in London whom I last met when I was 13 and many primary school friends too. It allows us to see updates on our friends, observe the growth of their children, know their family and friends and many-many more.

  Despite all these benefits, one word would have to assist everyone involved with using these pages
"SELF-CONTROL"
Seriously! Self-control is so important as we do not want to get carried away and spend too much time on these pages. I am experiencing this problem myself, sometimes I would even sleep late without realizing the time just because I started to browse through a friend's page and it becomes like a domino effect. Perhaps what I'm saying is just happening to me but then again I thought its good to share this reminder. 

  Self-control is not something to be taken lately, as scientists have discovered that a higher self-control in children is associated with a better IQ or performance in the long-term for these children. So what more in us adults! I wonder how many organizations or companies are facing this problem of their staff facebooking too much and reduced productivity totally. I am so screaming this to my ears and brain now! 

   In Islamic point of view, we are taught not to bother about other people's business or be a nosy parker unless we are to help but it just gets harder when we are too connected with each other and get to access into other people's lives.

  I here take this as a challenge for myself today to not waste and abuse my time on Facebook, rather to use it purely and solely as a means of updating friends on recent events and to share words of wisdoms or teachings. Nevertheless, I wonder what would happen to our lives if Facebook never existed, no?


Comments

Popular Posts